Tokai Radio Control Car Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby

2 posters

Go down

New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby Empty New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby

Post  Controversy Sun 25 Aug - 13:44

Hello to all TRCCC forum users and members of the club,

As the title for the topic says, I'm new to the forums but not new to the hobby. I have been involved with the hobby on and off for several years. Previously only owned off road cars and have been mostly a basher and not much of a racer. I have had my fare share of looking around the forums, I've been to see the track at the Protea Sports Club twice (was both on a Saturday morning) - I also noticed there are timed racing events on Tuesday nights.

So... here I am, thinking about getting into the racing scene - enjoy the aspect of racing and being competitive - but just have a few questions that I was hoping someone could answer.

1. What are the club fees/rates at the moment
2. If one has become a member; does that mean that we/they are allowed to use the track on the weekends (for practicing and chassis setup changes)
3. Are there additional entry fees for race events on Tuesday nights or any other race meetings
4. What timing system is used at race events and does one require their own transponder
5. Is the GT 17.5T class well supported in terms of participants

Some questions regarding the track, drive ratios and lap times:

1. Length of main straight (in metres)
2. Grip levels of the track when weather is fair (High/Medium/Low)
3. Does the track get swept before races or get given a sugar water treating
4. Would you say the track surface is (Smooth/Bumpy)
5. What are the average laps times for the GT 17.5T class (racing/practice)*
6. What gear ratio, FDR (final drive ratio) and rollout are the GT 17.5T guys/girls using*
7. What tires are the GT 17.5T guys/girls using*

Here's a list of the electronics, tires and chassis I currently own; will this be legal for the GT 17.5T class? (I have read the class rules, but thought I would just clarify)*

- Schumacher Mi1 1/10th scale TC chassis -- stock chassis with Schumacher aluminium differential mounts and Schumacher suspension arm pivot blocks -- (Yes/No)
- Speed Passion Gran Turismo v2.0 LPF speed controller -- stock firmware/stock settings -- (Yes/No)
- Speed Passion Ultra Sportsman v2 17.5R brushless motor -- fixed timing -- (Yes/No)
- Turnigy Nano-Tech 7.4v 30-60C 5300mAh 2S2P LiPo battery -- Hardcase/ROAR approved -- (Yes/No)
- HPI BMW M3 GT 190mm TC lexan body (Yes/No)
- Team Associated NTC3 RTR Tires -- Part No. ASC2405 -- (Yes/No)
- Weight of chassis with body -- 1430g -- (Yes/No)

*I can move these questions and this section of the post to the GT 17.5T / 23T thread if need be.

Please excuse the million questions, I'm a rather friendly and easy going kind of person (sometimes, mood dependent). I just enjoy going in-depth and gaining a wealth of knowledge when it comes to this hobby. I'm also the type to become very quiet but can also become very loud and expressive (without alcohol). Hopefully I'll be joining you guys (and girls?) in the not too distant future as I am looking to have some good times with like minded people.

Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

Side notes: Drivers stand is looking very professional, big THUMBS UP! The race track in Port Elizabeth can be your inspiration... gave me goose bumps seeing the photos.

Thanks for reading,
Controversy

Controversy
Tokai Pole Sitter

Back to top Go down

New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby Empty Re: New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby

Post  skillz Mon 26 Aug - 6:25

Howzit and welcome to the forum.

To answer some of ur questions:
1. Club fees are R350 per year
2if u a member then u get a key for the track and u may come practice and time.
3. Race entry fees are: R30 for one class and R50 for 2 classes
4. We use a AMB 20 transponder set with Laps Freetimming programme.u don't need your own transponder.
5. If you look under the club notice board. Section then you will see the new rules for the classes. The Gt class has now become a class more affordable to new guys which is a step up from stock but they can be competitive with the same chassi. We run it with plastic chassi only, foam or rubber tires and the 20 t motor which costs R120 .

We looking forward to meeting u.

Feel freeto ask any more questions.
skillz
skillz
Tokai Club Champ

Back to top Go down

New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby Empty Re:

Post  Controversy Wed 28 Aug - 20:10

Thank you for the reply skillz and for answering some of my questions.

I can definitely relate to the hobby as being a little daunting for someone new, as prices can be on the higher side. I have been away from the hobby for over a year and parted with my previous gear. I still have yet to purchase a transmitter. I have been slowly but surely putting my chassis together piece by piece over the past few months. The chassis I purchased in January 2013, it's now almost September and I'm still not ready to start rolling...

When I'm not too busy, I'd definitely like to come on a Tuesday race night, meet some of the members and spectate or even marshal if that's possible?

Then over the coming months I can decide which class I would like to contest in the most, then possibly sell/swap my current chassis for a chassis that's in the class I'd like to race in.

Thanks again for the reply.

Controversy
Tokai Pole Sitter

Back to top Go down

New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby Empty Re: New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby

Post  skillz Wed 28 Aug - 23:26

Pleasure bud. U welcome to come race, watch. Or marshal any time.
If u need anything let us know.
skillz
skillz
Tokai Club Champ

Back to top Go down

New to the TRCCC forum, but not new to the RC hobby Empty Re:

Post  Controversy Sun 15 Sep - 12:17

Hi again skillz.

This past Tuesday (the 10th September), I was really hoping to come and watch/marshal the GT, F1 and FWD class races. Tuesday evenings are rather difficult for me as I have to travel for one hour to get to the Protea Sports Club (and another hour back) and with work, I just do not have the spare time available during the week.

Time wise, weekends do suit me far better. One or two more questions if you don't mind?

1. Do memberships last one year from date of joining or does it work annually from the 1st of January to the 31st of December?
2. Can I do an EFT when paying for membership fees and where does the money go from there?

I have great news, finally been able to purchase my radio and have taken my Mi1 on a few outings already. With my current setup, I'm slightly under-geared (intentionally) as my motor barely goes over 40 degrees centigrade. My rollout is 3.03 and with my current 17.5T 2,100kV motor, my top speeds are around 40km/h.

My suspension has been setup for a medium grip, slightly bumpy open flowing track with no real sharp hairpins or chicanes. Some understeer on corner exit when accelerating as well which will suit a flowing track.

Do any of the members of the club have a Schumacher Mi1 as I am looking for a setup sheet for the TRCCC track?

Controversy
Tokai Pole Sitter

Back to top Go down

Post  skillz Mon 16 Sep - 10:32

Hey bud.

That's good news. I'm glad u up and racing again.

Membership is from 1st jan to end December. If u want to join now then u will just pay a pro-rats fee.

I don't think any of our current drivers have a mi1. They are mostly running tamiya tt01's.

Hope to see u soon.

Keep well!
skillz
skillz
Tokai Club Champ

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down